Advanced graphics, high-performance computing (HPC) and networking applications are requiring more memory bandwidth to keep pace with the increasing compute performance brought by advanced process technologies. With the DesignWare HBM2/HBM2E IP solution, designers can achieve their memory throughput requirements with minimal power consumption and low latency.
The complete DesignWare HBM2/HBM2E IP solution includes controller, PHY and verification IP, enabling designers to achieve up to 460 GBps aggregate bandwidth, which is over 14 times the bandwidth of a 72-bit DDR4 interface operating at up to 3200 Mbps. In addition, the DesignWare HBM2/HBM2E IP solution delivers approximately 10X better energy efficiency than DDR4.
The DesignWare HBM2/HBM2E IP solution leverages elements from Synopsys’ silicon-proven DDR4 IP, which has been validated in hundreds of designs and shipped in millions of systems-on-chips (SoCs), enabling designers to lower integration risk and accelerate adoption of the new standard. In addition, DesignWare HBM IP is in volume production with numerous customer SoCs.
The DesignWare HBM2/HBM2E PHY is provided as a set of hard macrocells delivered as GDSII along with a soft PHY Utility Block (PUB). The hard macrocells include integrated application-specific HBM2/HBM2E I/Os required for HBM2/HBM2E signaling and are easily assembled into a complete 512- or 1,024-bit HBM2/HBM2E PHY. The PUB provides the PHY configuration registers, training algorithms, and BIST features of the interface. The design is optimized for high performance, low latency, low area, low power, and ease of integration.
Figure 1: DesignWare HBM2/HBM2E PHY IP Block Diagram
In select process technologies, Synopsys also offers pre-hardened HBM2/HBM2E PHY options. For designers with unique requirements, Synopsys also offers services to harden a DDR/HBM PHY to meet exact target requirements including metal stack, decoupling parameters, etc.
DesignWare HBM2/HBM2E PHY Datasheet
Downloads and Documentation
- Complete HBM2/HBM2E IP solution, including PHY, controller and verification IP, reduces integration risk while minimizing time-to-market
- 2.5D interposer expertise and reference designs
- Supports 2.5D-based JEDEC standard HBM2/HBM2E SDRAMs with data rates up to 3200 Mbps
- Up to 2400 Mbps with HBM2
- Up to 3600 Mbps with HBM2E
- Pseudo-channel mode doubles the number of channels, resulting in smaller fetch size and higher performance
- The HBM2/HBM2E IP is based on Synopsys’ silicon-proven HBM and DDR4 IP that has been integrated into hundreds of SoC designs
- DFI 4.0-compatible interface
- PHY independent training capability
- Comprehensive set of design-for-test (DFT) features