Synopsys Link Layer Controller IP for Bluetooth Low Energy, Thread, and Zigbee delivers secure, concurrent wireless connectivity for Internet of Things (IoT) applications such as wearables, industrial, smart homes, smart cities and automotive applications. The combo link layer controller/MAC incorporates advanced data encryption and random number generation for secure wireless connections as well as allows multiple simultaneous connections between supported protocols in a single instantiation. It provides validated interoperability with software stacks through the Host Controller Interface (HCI). In addition, the controller supports isochronous channels for LE Audio, enabling broadcast audio, audio sharing, and wireless stereo applications.
The IP is delivered as RTL and firmware corresponding to an optimized IP partition to minimize system power dissipation and allow for functionality upgrades through software updates. The firmware runs on an external processor that can either be a dedicated processor or host processor. The controller is thoroughly tested and qualified in accordance with the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG), Thread Group procedures, and is compliant with the Zigbee specification.
Integrating IP that adheres to industry standards enables designers to deliver energy-efficient IoT SoCs with less risk and accelerated time-to-market. For the first time in 7 years, BLE RFPHYs require changes to meet the upcoming new Bluetooth specifications in 2024 and beyond. The Synopsys RFPHY and Link Layer solutions have been designed and validated as a pair to form a complete BLE Controller Sub-system. This eliminates the risk and time consuming iterative integration process when a RFPHY and Link Layer Controller are sourced from two different IP vendors.
With the Synopsys IP solution, years of analog and RF design experience, and a broad portfolio of silicon-proven IP shipping in volume, Synopsys provides a robust wireless IP solution ready for integration into advanced SoC designs.
Synopsys Controller IP for Bluetooth, Thread, and Zigbee Datasheet
Synopsys RFPHY IP for Bluetooth, Thread, and Zigbee Datasheet
Downloads and Documentation
- Compliant with the Bluetooth 5.4, Bluetooth mesh, Thread, and Zigbee specifications
- Supports isochronous channels for LE Audio
- Optimized for power, area and memory footprint
- Integrates Bluetooth 5.2 Link Layer and IEEE 802.15.4 Media Access Control (MAC)
- Shares resources including memory and combo fabric for area optimization
- Concurrent wireless connectivity between Bluetooth low energy, Thread, and Zigbee networks
- All required security functions including advanced data encryption and random number generation
- HCI layer for interoperability with software stacks
- Configurable number of concurrent connections
- Smart hardware and firmware partitioning for optimal power and area
- Direct test mode access
- Includes design and verification environment
- Fully validated with the Synopsys RFPHY IP for all Bluetooth specification updates