Full Performance Digital Signal Processing for the DesignWare Processor Cores
Synopsys' DesignWare® ARC™ XY Advanced DSP adds the power of a true DSP engine to DesignWare ARC CPU cores, enabling conventional and signal processing computation within a single unified architecture. The DesignWare ARC XY Advanced DSP may be applied to most of the cores within the DesignWare ARC 600 and DesignWare ARC 700 families.
Synopsys also offers DSPlib, a library of frequently used signal processing functions that have been verified and optimized for the DesignWare ARC XY Advanced DSP. The library takes full advantage of Synopsys' configurable architecture to maximize the performance of each function.
DesignWare ARC cores with the DesignWare ARC XY Advanced DSP provide a complete solution for many complex computation problems in system-on-chips (SoCs) that are targeted at communications, media processing and many other applications.
XY Memory Architecture
The DesignWare ARC XY Advanced DSP architecture is built around two memory structures, X and Y, which source two operands and receive results in the same cycle.
Data in the XY memory is indexed via pointers from address generators and supplied to the DesignWare ARC CPU pipeline for processing by any DesignWare ARC instruction. The memories are software-programmable to provide 32-bit, 16-bit, or dual 16-bit data to the pipeline.
Additionally, an internal DMA engine moves data in and out of XY memory without impacting the processor pipeline.
Memory Configuration Options
|DesignWare ARC XY with 600 Family Core
||DesignWare ARC XY with 700 Family Core
|Single or dual port
|1 or 2 banks
|1 KB - 32 KB per bank
||8 KB - 64 KB
Address Generator Facilities
The DesignWare ARC XY Advanced DSP address generators make complex address calculations independently, removing a significant overhead from the CPU.
The address may either be updated after access or remain unchanged depending on the instruction.
- The address generators operate in several addressing modes under software control to optimize performance on DSP algorithms:
- Variable offset
- Bit reverse
DesignWare ARC XY Advanced DSP
- DesignWare ARC DSPlib
The DesignWare ARC DSPlib is a library of instruction extensions developed and verified by Synopsys to accelerate common DSP processing algorithms. This library allows any of these instructions to be applied to a DesignWare ARC core with DesignWare ARC XY Advanced DSP by a simple drag and drop in the DesignWare ARChitect™ Processor Configurator tool. Example DesignWare ARC DSPlib extensions include:
- Dual FFT
- 24 x 24 MAC
White Paper: Improving Performance and Simplifying Coding with XY Memory’s Implicit Parallelism
Accelerate data processing
Eliminate separate DSP and logic blocks
- DesignWare ARC XY Advanced DSP's separate memory banks for X and Y operands deliver data at register speed, eliminating main memory fetch cycles.
- DesignWare ARC XY Advanced DSP's address generators eliminate the CPU cycles to determine the address of the performance of a dedicated DSP engine.
Consolidate development environment
- Many applications use a CPU core for control functions and a DSP core for codec and other functions. A DesignWare ARC core with DesignWare ARC XY Advanced DSP can replace separate DSP hardware and its associated memory with an efficient, single-processor solution.
- Developers who code for separate CPU and DSP architectures must purchase, learn and maintain two set of development tools. A DesignWare ARC core with DesignWare ARC XY Advanced DSP requires only a single unified environment.