About Synopsys’ Optical Solutions Group
Accelerating Innovation in the Optics Industry
Synopsys' Optical Solutions Group is a leading developer of optical design and analysis tools that model all aspects of light propagation, enabling users to produce accurate virtual prototypes leading to manufacturable optical systems. Our innovative software packages include CODE V® imaging design software, LightTools® illumination design software, LucidShape® products for automotive lighting, the RSoft™ products for photonic device and optical communications design, and the PhoeniX OptoDesigner tools for photonic integrated circuit (PIC) layout and verification.
- In October 2010, Synopsys acquired Optical Research Associates (ORA®), representing Synopsys’ initial move into the optics industry and aligning with the company's strategy to expand its total addressable market into areas that are naturally adjacent to traditional EDA. With the CODE V and LightTools software products, Synopsys is continuing ORA’s long history as an innovator in the development of optical design and analysis software. The Engineering Services group is the largest independent supplier of optical systems design.
- In May 2012, Synopsys acquired RSoft Design Group. With the RSoft products, Synopsys has augmented the CODE V and LightTools product lines to provide a full spectrum of photonic and optical design solutions.
- In February 2014, Synopsys acquired Brandenburg GmbH, maker of the LucidShape line of CAD software for the design and simulation of automotive and general lighting. The LucidShape products further strengthen Synopsys' existing lighting design and simulation portfolio by offering a more complete set of optical tools for automotive lighting customers.
- In February 2018, Synopsys acquired PhoeniX B.V., a global supplier of photonic chip design solutions. With the PhoeniX OptoDesigner tools, Synopsys is the leading provider of PIC design automation solutions.
CODE V is used for the optimization, analysis, and tolerancing of image-forming optical systems and free-space photonic devices. CODE V combines superior engineering capabilities with the control and access of an intuitive user interface. Its many unique capabilities include the most powerful local and global optimization for optics, MTF-based tolerancing, environmental analysis, partial coherence analysis, gradient index and DOE/HOE support, polarization ray tracing, and lens cost appraisal. And it's easy to share CODE V's optimization and analytic capabilities with other scientific and engineering applications through its COM interface, enabling a seamless, end-to-end design solution. As the industry-standard design and analysis software for optical engineers worldwide, CODE V is unmatched in function, quality, accuracy, ease of use, and technical support.
LightTools is a complete optical design and analysis software product featuring virtual prototyping, simulation, optimization, and photorealistic renderings of precision illumination applications. Its robust 3D modeling technology delivers the inherent accuracy required to simulate ray paths of light as they travel through and within optical elements and mechanical structures. The fully integrated system optimization tool improves the performance of virtually any type of illumination system, dramatically reducing the time required to finalize a design. From LCD displays to vehicle lighting to projector systems, LightTools supports all aspects of illumination design projects.
The LucidShape product family provides a complete set of design and analysis tools for automotive lighting. With dedicated algorithms optimized for automotive applications, LucidShape facilitates the design of automotive forward, rear and signal lighting and reflectors. In addition, the LucidDrive tool provides night driving simulations that generate nearly photorealistic lighting scenes in real time, which allows designers to quickly and accurately evaluate beam patterns of vehicle headlamps prior to expensive fabrication and testing.
The RSoft product family is used to design, optimize and simulate optical telecommunication devices, optical components used in semiconductor manufacturing, and nano-scale optical structures. It enables engineers to design and optimize the optical components and systems found in products such as fiber optic networks, semiconductor lithography equipment, silicon optical chips and LEDs.
Synopsys’ PIC Design Suite – photonic integrated circuit design software that includes the OptSim Circuit and OptoDesigner tools – offers a seamless PIC design flow from concept to manufacturable design, as well as access to a single, world-class support channel.
- OptSim Circuit supports the design and optimization of PIC functionality.
- OptoDesigner has photonic-aware physical layout and verification capabilities to synthesize PIC layouts for fabrication.
- The PIC Design Suite enables both PDK-driven and custom design, and supports the widest portfolio of foundries offering MPW access. The PIC Design Suite integrates with the RSoft Photonic Component Design Suite, Synopsys HSPICE, and Sentaurus TCAD tools for cohesive, precise simulations of photonic and optoelectronic components and provides co-simulation of electronic and photonic circuits.
Our Optical Engineering Services team provides imaginative, cost-effective solutions across the entire spectrum of optical design. We have successfully completed over 5,000 projects for government, commercial, and consumer products, including breakthrough designs for compact disk player optics, holographic heads-up displays, and precision illumination systems. We partner with manufacturers to deliver total design-to-build optical solutions.
Learn About Us in Your Language