1. What is LTE?
Answer: LTE and LTE-Advanced, standardized by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), is an evolutionary advancement of today's mobile communication technologies such as GSM and WCDMA/HSPA. The primary goal for LTE/LTE-Advanced is to serve the surging demand for mobile broadband data by increasing peak and average data throughput, as well as to significantly reduce latency. These improvements, combined with a simpler network architecture, lower operation and maintenance costs for the service provider.
2. When will the validated Synopsys LTE library be available?
Answer: The validated library will be available with the 2011.06 release. This release will also include the initial version of LTE-Advanced. Access will be free to all Synopsys LTE Library customers under maintenance.
3. Do current customers need to pay for access to the validated library?
Answer: No. Access will be free to all Synopsys LTE Library customers under maintenance.
4. When will the automatic configuration from Synopsys' algorithm simulation tools, SPW and System Studio, for Rohde & Schwarz signal generators be available?
Answer: The automatic configuration will be available to select customers in June 2011 with general availability expected in October 2011.
5. Will customers need to pay for the automated configuration feature?
Answer: No. Access will be free to all Synopsys LTE Library customers under maintenance. For R&S signal generators, a valid LTE/LTE-Advanced license will be required.
6. Will the automatic configuration work with existing Rohde & Schwarz signal generators, or do customers need an upgrade?
Answer: Yes, the automatic configuration will work also with existing Rohde & Schwarz signal generators (please see the SPW/System Studio release notes for the matching Rohde & Schwarz FW/SW version). Additional prerequisite is a valid LTE (and optionally LTE-Advanced) signal generator license on the instrument.
7. Which Rohde & Schwarz signal generators are supported?
Answer: Signal generators R&S®SMU200A, R&S®SMBV100A as well as WinIQSim2 are supported.
8. Why is the Synopsys collaboration with Rohde & Schwarz beneficial for customers?
Answer: This collaboration will accelerate LTE and LTE-Advanced wireless system design and verification for chipsets, handsets and base stations. Synopsys' LTE and LTE-Advanced libraries are verified against Rohde & Schwarz's test and measurement solutions reducing risk for standards compliance. Starting with signal generators, the collaboration will also enable automatic parameter configuration reducing time to first test and creating more efficient interaction between algorithm designers and hardware testers. Since typical configurations consist of more than 100 parameters, this integration significantly reduces the time to a correct setup. It also reduces the risk of configuration inconsistencies that often result in days of system integration time lost in the lab. Essentially, this collaboration ensures higher efficiency and lower risk for next generation LTE wireless designs.
9. Will Synopsys and Rohde & Schwarz expand on this collaboration to provide additional benefits in the future?
Answer: We will work with our joint customers to identify and prioritize additional benefits.
10. What is Synopsys contributing to the collaboration?
Answer: Synopsys is contributing its strength in algorithm design and verification solutions including standard-compliant reference libraries. For more information about Synopsys' algorithm design tools and libraries, please visit: www.synopsys.com/dsp.
11. What is Rohde & Schwarz contributing to the collaboration?
Answer: Rohde & Schwarz is contributing proven test and measurement solutions. For more information about Rohde & Schwarz, please visit: www.measurement.rohde-schwarz.com.
12. Who would be most interested in the technology that this collaboration offers?
Answer: Any design house involved in LTE and LTE-Advanced physical layer designs. This includes transmitter and receiver design of base stations, pico- and femto cells as well as handhelds or USB-modem sticks.
13. Where can I find more information on the collaboration?
Answer: For more information, please visit LTE/LTE-Advanced Collaboration with Rohde & Schwarz.