Basic Training on TCAD Sentaurus Tools
SENTAURUS WORKBENCH: The class covers the basics of this framework tool that allows organization of parameterized TCAD simulations in a single project with many possible splits, or branches.
SENTAURUS PROCESS: Users will learn the specifics of this process simulation tool, in terms of syntax and introduction of various models to simulate fabrication process flows.
SENTAURUS STRUCTURE EDITOR: The class will show you how to create 2D and 3D device structures, import structures from a prior process simulation step, make boundary simplifications and properly mesh structures for any subsequent device simulations.
SENTAURUS DEVICE: The class covers the basics how to simulate the electrical characteristics of devices created with SENTAURUS PROCESS and/or SENTAURUS STRUCTURE EDITOR.
SENTAURUS VISUAL & INSPECT: Users will be taught how to visualize the structures and results generated from the process and device simulations, using these tools.
At the end of this workshop the student should be able to:
- Run parameterized process and device simulations
- Visualize simulated doping profiles, structure boundaries and materials,
I-V curves and internal device characteristics such as carrier densities,
current densities, and electric fields.
- Successfully combine mask layouts and process flows to perform simulations
of fabrication processes involving single or multiple semiconductors,
insulators and metals.
- Select proper models for the simulation of fabrication processes and
electrical behavior of devices
- Properly mesh structures for adequate simulations
- Perform AC analyses of RF parameters
To benefit the most from the material presented in this course, you should have a good understanding of the physics involved in the fabrication process of microelectronic devices and/or microelectronic device physics.
- What is TCAD?
- TCAD Tool Overview
SWB HANDS-ON – FULL NMOS FLOW SIMULATION
- Getting Started
- Running a Project
- Creating a New Project
- Building Multiple Experiments
- Miscellaneous Features
Process simulation I - SENTAURUS PROCESS
- Process flow
- Device simulation
- Parameter extraction
Process simulation II - SENTAURUS PROCESS
- Getting Started
- 1D Process Simulation
- 2D Process Simulation
- Interface with ICWB
Process simulation III - SENTAURUS PROCESS
- Changing Parameters and Models
- Working with a Custom Calibration File
- Working with SENTAURUS PROCESS Advanced Calibration
Structure editing, Meshing I - SENTAURUS STRUCTURE EDITOR
- SProcess under SWB
- Meshing with MGOALS
- Other topics/Q&A
Structure editing, Meshing II - SENTAURUS STRUCTURE EDITOR
- Getting Started
- Generating 2D Boundaries
- Generating Doping Profiles
- Generating Meshes
- Scripting and Parameterization
Device simulation I - SENTAURUS DEVICE
- Three-Dimensional Structures
- Process Emulation Mode
Device simulation II - SENTAURUS DEVICE
- SENTAURUS DEVICE Basics
- Quasistationary and Transient simulations
- Parameter file
Device simulation III - SENTAURUS DEVICE
- Carrier Transport Models
- Mixed-mode SENTAURUS DEVICE
- AC analysis
Visualization tools - INSPECT & SENTAURUS VISUAL
- Advanced Examples
- Solving convergence problems in SENTAURUS DEVICE
Synopsys Tools Used
- Visualization of X-Y plots and post processing of results
- Visualization of 2D and 3D structures along with simulation results
- Interactive mode
- Scripting - parameter extraction
- SENTAURUS WORKBENCH
- SENTAURUS PROCESS
- SENTAURUS STRUCTURE EDITOR
- SENTAURUS DEVICE
- SENTAURUS VISUAL