Prior to using your dongle-based licenses you must install a dongle driver. If you have counted licenses, the Synopsys Common Licensing software must also be installed and started.
For the Windows OS, Synopsys recommends that the SCL server be started on Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2012. Only x86_64 CPUs are supported.
For Linux, see the DONGLE_README.txt file in the scl_root\platform\drivers directory for setup instructions.
For the Windows OS, after installing SCL, make sure the dongle ID is recognized by Windows. For the dongle ID to be seen by FLEXnet, a FLEXid software driver must be installed. Synopsys supports Dallas or Rainbow dongles for maintenance renewals; however, new orders should be placed only for the FLEXid=9 USB dongle. (At this time, Synopsys does not support Wibu FLEXid 10 dongles. Sentinel SuperPro dongles are supported only for uncounted Windows-based licenses.)
If the dongle is not recognized, the cause may be that no dongle driver is installed, or the existing driver is obsolete.
For the Windows OS, follow the steps below to resolve this problem.
- Start “lmtools” (provided with SCL). lmtools is located in the scl_root\win32\bin directory.
- Click Help > About. The lmtools version number must be 11.12.1 or higher.
- Click the System Setting tab and make sure the correct FLEXid shows in the "FLEXID" field matches the FLEXid imprinted on the dongle.
- If the correct FLEXid shows, then go to Step 6. If no FLEXid shows, or an incorrect FLEXid shows, follow these steps:
- For a USB dongle, make sure it attached directly to the system and not to a USB hub device. For a parallel-port dongle, make sure it is attached directly to the parallel port, not to another dongle.
- Remove and reinsert the dongle.
- Uninstall any old drivers via the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel applet. These may have names like Aladdin HASP, Globetrotter FLEXid Driver, Macrovision FLEXid Driver, Rainbow Technologies Sentinel or Sentinel System Drivers.
- Restart the system.
- For counted licenses that reference FLEXID=9-, install the latest FLEXid 9 drivers located at scl_root\11.8\win32\drivers\SCL_FLEXID9_Installer.exe. (For counted licenses, do not run the old FLEXIDInstaller.exe utility because it does not include the most recent drivers.)
- For uncounted licenses, run FLEXIdInstaller.exe to install the legacy FLEXid drivers. (The drivers installed by SCL_FLEXID9_Installer.exe are not compatible with FlexNet 10.x clients and uncounted license files.)
- For legacy dongles such as parallel or serial port dongles, run FLEXIDInstaller.exe to install the FLEXid 6_7 or FLEXid 8 drivers.
- Reboot and repeat steps 1 through 4 if the dongle is not recognized.
- Once the FLEXid is recognized, start the SCL license server with lmtools. For details on starting SCL on Windows, click here.
- After SCL is started, go to Control Panel > System > Advanced > Environment Variables and set the licensing variable SNPSLMD_LICENSE_FILE or LM_LICENSE_FILE to point to the license server. For example, set SNPSLMD_LICENSE_FILE to 27020@my_server.