PCI Express® - or PCIe® - is a high performance, high bandwidth serial communications interconnect standard that has been devised by the Peripheral Component Interconnect Special Interest Group (PCI-SIG) to replace bus-based communication architectures, such as PCI, PCI Extended (PCI-X) and the accelerated graphics port (AGP).
Scott Knowlton, Product Marketing Manager, Synopsys
Almost everyone knows that the bulk of DRAMs produced end up in desktop and laptop computers just like the one used to write the whitepaper. In fact, approximately 90% of all DRAMs are used in computers – leaving the remaining 10% as square pegs pounded into round holes when used as off-chip memory for SoCs. As the number of SoC designs requiring an interface to external memory increases, the modern DDRn SDRAM memory interface (DDR, DDR2, DDR3) offers security of supply, high storage capacity, low cost and reasonable channel bandwidth, but comes with an awkward interface and complicated controller issues.
Graham Allan, Senior Product Manager, Synopsys