- Established: 1919
Number of students: > 13,000
Number of lecturers: > 1,300
On December 7, 2005, YSU became a member of the Synopsys Worldwide University Program by cooperation agreement between Synopsys Armenia CJSC and YSU.
- Classrooms located in YSU: 2
- Classrooms located in SAED: 5
- Students’ seats: 30
- Computers: 30 SUN workstations located in YSU
- Synopsys EDA Tools licenses: 30
- Synopsys tools are used in practical, laboratory & diploma works, Master theses and PhD dissertations
Educational programs implemented in the frame of cooperation
- Bachelor program
In IC Design specialization starting from the 5th semester of Bachelor program is established and functions from February 9, 2006 - Top students from the Radio Physics faculty continue their further education at YSU premises by Industry/University Educational model after the first 2.5 years of their Bachelor study.
- Master program
In IC Design specialization – Top graduates from Bachelor program continue education in the Masters program at SAED premises.
- PhD program is carried out for IC Design specialization.
- Industry/University Model for YSU
- Best professors
- Best students upon completing the 5th semester in Bachelor program
- University degree (Bachelor, Master, Ph.D.)
- Synopsys Armenia provides:
- Classrooms, laboratories
- Industry-leading Synopsys EDA tools
- Professors’ salaries and students’ scholarships
- Professors’ training
- Development of University’s technical infrastructure
- Employment offers upon successful graduation
Development of YSU's technical infrastructure
On September 26, 2006, Yerevan State University (YSU) received a Charles Babbage Grant from Synopsys for Armenia Charitable Foundation and Sun Microsystems including numerous copies of Synopsys' comprehensive electronic design automation (EDA) software tools and Sun RayTM client hardware and server software from Sun Microsystems to create a new engineering laboratory. YSU uses the engineering laboratory for their microelectronic design teaching and advanced research programs.
Synopsys management was rewarded with the highest awards of YSU presented by YSU management:
- In 2006, Synopsys President and Chief Operating Officer, Chi-Foon Chan, was awarded YSU Gold Medal.
- In 2009, Synopsys Armenia Executive Director, Hovik Musayelyan, was awarded YSU Gold Medal.
- In 2011, Director of Synopsys Armenia Educational Department, Head of SEUA "Microelectronic Circuits and Systems" Chair Vazgen Melikyan, was awarded a Diploma “For Achievements in Science and Significant Contribution in University Education Development.
In collaboration with YSU, Synopsys provides support for contributions to the development and modernization of classrooms and laboratories, technical guidance, curriculum development support, student stipends and financial support for administration and professor incentives. Support for organizing scientific seminars, symposiums and other research and scientific activities that give engineering students the opportunity to showcase their research and achievements is also provided.
The joint efforts of Synopsys Armenia and YSU have resulted in training many talented specialists who contribute to the national engineering workforce.