In celebration of Synopsys’ 25th anniversary, we are partnering with City Year to refurbish Lee Mathson Middle School in San Jose. For the majority of our 25 years, we’ve focused on enriching the quality of life in the communities where we live and work. With that focus in mind and to commemorate our silver anniversary, we will be holding a day-long volunteer activity at Lee Mathson and we’d like to invite you to join us.
Date: Saturday, June 23rd
Time: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Location: Lee Mathson Middle School
2050 Kammerer Ave.
San Jose 95116
Map & Parking Information (see below)
There are enough projects at Mathson to keep 1000 volunteers busy, but it’s our goal to get 500 volunteers at the school to completely transform it. It will be truly inspirational to see the school transition in just one day!
- Painting (general and mural)
- Light Construction
- Floater (wherever needed)
No special experience is required for any project type. You will be placed in small teams with a City Year leader who will instruct and guide your team. City Year will prep all work areas in advance so you can jump right in and get started on your project. All materials and tools will also be provided.
Children 7 years and older are welcome to participate in the activity. Children 7-12 will be placed on special teams led by City Year members with expertise in working with kids. They will work together on an engaging and age-appropriate activity such as mural painting. Youth 13 and up will volunteer alongside their parent(s) on an adult team.
On Saturday, June 23, 2012:
- 9:00-9:30 a.m. – Registration & breakfast
- 9:35 a.m. – Welcome messages (SJ Mayor Chuck Reed, Rep. Zoe Lofgren, Mathson Principal Jackie Montejano)
- 10:00 a.m. – Deploy to teams and begin service
- 12:30 a.m. – Lunch (will be provided)
- 1:00 p.m. – Return to service
- 3:15 p.m. – Clean up
- 3:45 p.m. – Closing and thank you
The volunteer activity is designed as a full-day; transformative experience and we really hope most people will join us for the entire length of the activity.
All volunteers will receive breakfast, lunch and a “Chip In – Make an Impact” t-shirt.
We ask that you please register yourself and any guests in advance:
- If you are a City Year alumnus or Lee Mathson community member (parent, etc.) please email Jon Hinthorne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a family/friend of a Synopsys employee please contact that employee and ask them to register you online.
- If you are part of an agency or vendor of Synopsys’ please email Elesa Cooperson at email@example.com.
We highly recommend carpooling or being dropped off at Lee Mathson, as parking is limited. There are limited spots at Lee Mathson, Dorsa Elementary School down the block and the Community Center across the street. Once these spaces are filled, you will be relegated to street parking.
Synopsys Chairman and CEO Aart de Geus received the 2012 Service Leadership Award at City Year San Jose/Silicon Valley’s annual gala, Starry Starry Night, on May 2nd.
We hope you’ll join Synopsys employees, their family and friends, City Year corp members past and present and members of the Lee Mathson community for this exciting volunteer opportunity!